Biograde® is a family of bioplastic products based on cellulose acetate for injection molding, sheet and profile extrusion. Plant-based cellulose, the base for the production of cellulose acetate, is the most easily accessible and renewable resource on the planet. Biograde® is predominantly a renewable and fully biodegradable material alternative for rigid applications.
The main applications for Biograde® are for a range of technical parts. As a result of its scratch-resistant and wear resistant surface, it is also suitable for the production of highly stressed casings. The high heat resistance also meets the requirements for safety in use of the electronics and household articles industry.
Biograde® does not contain any harmful plasticizer and is certified BPA-free. Furthermore, Biograde® has been successfully tested and certified according to the EN 71-3 standard “Safety of Toys: Migration of Certain Elements‘ Part 3“. Depending on the application, our customers can select between high and low viscosity grades. Also, in terms of visual appearance, Biograde® fulfills most requirements as natural, white and transparent grades are all available. The possibility to color and good printability offers a wide scope for design.
Advantages of Biograde® at a glance
- Based on renewable raw materials
- Certified biodegradable and compostable according to EN 13432 and ASTM D 6400 (depending on grade)
- Properties similar to standard thermoplastics (e.g. ABS, PS)
- High heat resistance meeting UL 94 HB standard requirements
- Can be processed on standard production equipment
- Recyclable (in-house, e.g. sprues or scrap)
- Food Approved to EC Directives and FDA (depending on grade)
- Suitable for toys (EN 71-3)